Knowledge is power right? So to make you more powerfule below are some interesting, remarkable and down right wacky facts about South East Asia. You’re welcome…
1. The name “Southeast Asia” came into popular use after World War II and the region has 10 independent countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. (map from imagekp.com)
2. In Thailand barbers are usually closed on Wednesday because Thais think it will bring bad luck to cut their hair that day of the week.
3. Some people in Malaysia wash their babies in beer to protect them from diseases.
4. Indonesia is the world’s biggest archipelago with over 17,000 islands.
5. Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, is the largest religious temple in the world. It is estimated it took 30 years to build!
6. Vietnam is the second largest exporter of coffee in the world. Only Brazil exports more coffee, by volume, than Vietnam. Most of Vietnam’s coffee is exported to the U.S.
7. Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Vietnam, other sports of interest include table tennis, volleyball, badminton, tennis, and martial arts.
8. The national anthem of Singapore is written in microtext on the back of the $1000 note.
9.Laos has been tagged as the “World’s Most Bombed Country.” Over two billion tons of bombs were dropped in Laos during the Vietnam War.
10. It is illegal to drink alcohol in public in Brunei.
11. The Philippines is the world’s leading producer of coconuts, having produced 19.5 million tons of the fruit in 2010 (Photocred: Internationalcoconut.com).
Learn something? Me too!
If you have any other fun facts do get in touch. Happy travels.