I’m in my third month as a travel blogger and what a ride it’s been!
It’s so rewarding to get positive comments from friends, family and strangers who are enjoying Pilgrim With A Plan and I love inspiring people to see the world!
The other part of blogging I’m enjoying is connecting with amazing bloggers living incredible lives around the world and I’m humbled by my recent nomination from fellow bloggers One Modern Couple for the Liebster Award.
One Modern Couple
One Modern Couple are my travel/lifespiration they are “delaying major life decisions, such as having children or buying a house” and living “digital nomad lifestyle”. #livingthedream
The Liebster Award is like chain mail for bloggers and is a way to learn, share, connect and have a little bit of fun.
Basically you get 11 questions from your nominator then you nominate five other bloggers to answer 11 questions you’ve made up.
Thanks so much to One Modern Couple for the nomination – a true honour and I hope we can meet up somewhere around the world and have a beer one day!
So without further adieu here are my answers…
1. What/who/where made you fall in love with travel?
My parents take sole responsibility for me spending every last cent I earn on seeing the world.
Ever since I was a baby I was in the car travelling around New Zealand. As I got older there were a number of trips to Australia to visit family, then the pinnacle of child travel… Disneyland. #winning
There they are, all cute and dorky on the Great Wall of China (we went together in 2010).
2. If you were given a free flight to the next destination of your choice, where would it be?
Bhutan, no doubt in my mind. I’m dying to go there, it sounds remarkable. I’ve even written a blog about how much I want to go there… click here to read it.
Photo cred: himalayanworkshops.com
3. Do you keep any mementos from your travels? Anything you collect from each destination?
I’m a lighter collector. I have a big bowl of lighters sitting on my bookshelf, individually reminding me of the great places I have been.
4. What is one random fact that your followers don’t yet know about you?
I’m a car fanatic. Dad was a rally driver in his younger years, I’ve written for a car magazine and my car is low and loud (too loud for Eamon!).
5. What do you find the most difficult/your biggest struggle while travelling?
The lack of routine/structure is a problem for me. I am THE MOST structured person. My days follow the same routine, I eat the same things day in, day out (legit) and if I don’t I loose my shit.
Travelling does not usually offer routine/structure, so I set up small routines such as having a wine break at the same time every afternoon and ensuring I write in my diary every day. Haha yes I’m crazy.
6. When you are craving a taste of home, what dish do you typically look for while travelling?
A fresh salad. Dull I know, but there’s nothing better or more nourishing for me than a good old fashioned salad.
7. Do you have a “luxury item” that you just can’t travel without?
Oh this is embarrassing, but I can’t travel without my hair straighteners. Without them my out of control mane would result in me being captured and put in the lions cage in the local Zoo…
Photo cred: GHD
8. What is your favourite method of transportation while travelling and why?
On the ground… taxi’s. I’m just one of those people who like to do things exactly when I want to do them, and in my own way, so a taxi provides that freedom.
9. What is one major thing you’ve learned since you started blogging?
Blogging is hard work. A lot of time, energy and passion goes in to making a blog work – it’s super rewarding but if you’re thinking of starting one don’t underestimate how much time bloggers spend working!
10. What’s the strangest thing you’ve eaten?
Snails in France… Mmmm garlic snails, delish.
11. Do you have a story where there was a miscommunication or culture difference that resulted in an unfortunate, funny or awkward situation?
Haha yes my Turkish Bath experience… click here to read about it.
So there you have it! Now my turn to nominate…
√ Lauren from Something in her Ramblings
√ Anna from The Legendary Adventures of Anna
√ John from TravelerLife.com
√ Luke from The Anti Travel Guide
√ Aditi from Monologue
And my questions are:
1) What’s one piece of clothing you always pack no matter where you go (other than underwear)?
2) What has been your strangest travel experience?
3) What is it about travel that gets you excited?
4) Who do you love travelling with the most (and it can include yourself)?
5) Are you a hostel or hotel stayer and why?
6) What is the most annoying part of travel for you?
7) What are most of your travel snaps of? Buildings/nature/people? And why?
8) What is the one website you always consult to get tips before you travel?
9) Where’s the one place you would visit over and over again and never get bored of?
10) What do you ensure you learn/know about a country before visiting?
11) What is your favourite part of being a travel blogger?